Wednesday 2 December 2015

How to relief your baby's stuffy nose

Becoming a mum has turned my life around for good, I am now more careful, prayerful and patient. 

But no matter how clean and careful you are when caring for your baby, he/she is bound to come down with a cold sooner or later. As interesting as babies can be, they seem to know when it's time to clean up their nose. 
Yes! They are uncomfortable, finding it hard to breathe, eat and sleep but they rather resist. 
My baby is 4months old and he has had catarrh like twice during this period of his life and it wasn't easy for me to watch him in such discomfort. 
So I got nasal drops and a mucous aspirator. I can't remember the exact price though but it wasn't more than NGN1000 and the nasal drops I got for NGN600 pere! 

Usually what I do is put 2 drops of the nasal drops in both nostrils and wait for about 30minutes before suctioning the mucous, this helps to loosen up the mucous and makes it easier to suction. I find this method easier and less irritating than using my mouth. The aspirator is easy to clean and durable so you can use it for a long time. My baby would scream the whole time but eventually he calms down and feels more relieved and I am sure he won't remember this experience by the time he is a teenager.

The nasal suction isn't the only way though but it's my preferred method. Here are a few other ways you can relieve your baby's congested nose. 
- During bath time : Gently splash some water into your baby's nose to help the mucous drip out on its own. 
- Steaming : Sit with your baby for 5 -10 minutes covered up over a hot bowl of water, you can also put a little mentholatum in the water for better results. 
- Go outside : Sometimes fresh air can help ease stuffiness. 
- Breastmilk : Try squeezing a few drops  of Breastmilk into your baby's nose to ease congestion, some experts say that the milk's antimicrobial properties can help. (Haven't tried this before sha). 

I am not an expert in child care, I am  learning everyday so if you know or have tried any other methods please leave a comment below. 

Thanks for reading and have a great day! 

"He sent his word and healed them and delivered them from their destructions" Psalm 107:20 (NKJV)

  

3 comments:

  1. Hello rume. My little one is 10 month old with a stuffed nose too(which he passed on to me). I think its the season. I put some drops of silverbird in his bath water. Its helps. Don't forget vitamin C (fresh oranges or syrup)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think it's the season, Princess and I have stuffy noses. I have the silverbird at home so I can try that 1st b4 the nasal drops.

    ReplyDelete