On to the matter of the day, do you know the difference between fresh and processed foods? hmmm maybe or maybe not, but that is why I am here to tell you the benefits of choosing fresh food.
First of all...What is processed food?
Processed foods have been altered from their natural state for safety reasons and for convenience. Processing methods include canning, freezing,refrigeration, dehydration and aseptic processing.
You ask why are processed foods unhealthy?
Processed foods contain extra trans and saturated fats, extra sodium and sugar, most times, nutrients are removed to make the food last longer or look better, higher ratio of calories, ingredients in processed foods are often of low quality but disguised by use of the processing, and food additives have little nutritional value etc.
What types of food are processed?
- Canned foods.
- White breads and pastas made with refined white flour.
- Packaged high‐calorie snack foods, like chips.
- Frozen fish sticks and frozen dinners
- Packaged cakes and cookies.
- Sugary breakfast cereals etc.
We should all know the health risks associated with eating processed foods
- Processed meats increase your risk of colorectal, kidney and stomach cancer
- Excess sugar and salt intake can lead to high blood pressure, weight gain, and diabetes.
- Food additives may cause adverse health effects.
But not all processed food is bad…
Frozen vegetables are usually processed within hours of harvest, there is little nutrient loss in the freezing process so frozen vegetables retain their high vitamin and mineral content.
I know its not easy especially in naija but here are some reasons to choose fresh food instead
- Fresh food has not been processed other than by washing, cooking, and simple kitchen preparation.
- Fresh food contains more of naturally‐occurring vitamins, fiber and minerals than processed food
- Essential nutrients in fresh food may protect you from cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease and Type 2 diabetes
- Eating fresh produce gives you more energy, helps reduce weight gain and may even reduce the effects of aging
- Yellow, orange, red, green and purple fruits and vegetables generally contain the most phyto-chemicals which reduce the risk for cancer.
So instead of APPLE JUICE, eat an APPLE instead because it has more fiber and no added sugar, instead of WHITE BREAD, eat WHOLE WHEAT BREAD because it’s higher in fiber, vitamins B6 and E, magnesium, zinc, folic acid and chromium.
I hope you get where I am coming from o because e no easy, not saying I do it all but we can get better. Most times the processed food is sweeter but our health is very important.
Thanks for reading, its good to be back.
There is no judgement against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God's one and only Son
- John 3:18